Friday, April 22, 2011

04/22/2011

Well well well..... I had my meeting with my co-workers and peers at work about my transition and I must say that it went better than I thought it would be. My manager was there along with our HR department's rep. Everything went so well. We first introduced ourselves and then went right into the training. I only had the people that I am close to and work with on a regular basis in the meeting. They will moreso be my advocate during my process. I know that a lot of people will be questioning my actions (i.e. going into the men's restroom, over hearing smoeone call me 'he' or by my new name), and that's what they were in there for. Just in case other's have questions about what is going on. Because I had my old team in the meeting, I will now have to set up something for my new team (I am moving up the corporate ladder). But my co-workers all seemed so supportive and had a lot of questions for me. It was very interesting. Because a lot of them are unfamiliar with the process and with the transition itself, they had a lot of good questions, from health concerns down to the actual process itself. They are moreso concerned about how to address me and what will happen if they slip up. They are so afraid of disrespecting me, but I am glad they through everything out on the table. I was just like an open book; if you're bold enough to ask it, I am bold enough to answer it. I walked them through the entire process from my therapy sessions, my hormone replacement therapy, to my surgeries and anything else I could have thought of. I was so grateful that the HR rep was there, because she took lead of the group and anything I was unable to answer, she came and chimed right on in. I think that it went really well and that they fully understood that this is not a choice, but this is my life. I basically took them through my mental struggle and how I have been battling with this for some time now. I wanted to give them a mental picture of how I was feeling and what I am thinking. It takes a lot to open up about something so personal.

Now the only other hurdle is telling my parents. A question was brought up about how my family feels about it and that got me to thinking, I need to tell them before my first T shot. I was thinking about writing a letter and sending it to my mom so I won't have to explain anything to her face to face. I think I owe her that much to at least let her know other than just pooping up with the deep voice and the facial hair. I know that she is not going to take too kindly of it, but I need to ask her for understanding. I know that it is not going to happen over night, but I need to give her some time to process this in her head. This is the only thing that I nervous about. I need some advice about this. I know that Shane has gone through the same thing that I have with religious parents and all.... He has been a true force in my life already and has guided me in everything that I needed. This is will be the hardest part for me, but I will in fact write my mother a letter tonight and mail it off by the first of the month. Everything is still too fresh with my grandmother's death and all.... so I want to give her some time to heal from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment